Caol Ila

In 1846 Hector Henderson built the Caol Ila distillery near Port Askaig on the island of Islay. In 1854 he sold it to Norman Buchanan. Today, Caol Ila (which is Gaelic for ‘Sound of Islay’, the dangerous crossing between Islay and Jura) is the largest distillery on the island with a mash tun of 13 tonnes, 8 washbacks and 6 stills. In 1863, she became the property of Bulloch Lade & Co, whisky merchants from Glasgow. They went bankrupt in 1920. In 1927 Caol Ila was reopened by the Caol Ila Distillery Company Ltd, that would later become part of DCL, a precursor to Diageo. The distillery was closed again from 1930 to 1937 and again during the Second World War. Since 1974, the malt is purchased from the Port Ellen Maltings. They produce about 3.8 million litres of spirit per annum. It would take until 2002 before the first bottle of official Caol Ila single malt was released. Before that, all production went into blend, primarily Johnnie Walker.

View as
Sort by
Display per page

Caol Ila 7yo 2012/2020 Asta Morris

Caol Ila 7yo 2012/2020 (60,0%, Sherry Butt, C#AM127)
€79.00 incl VAT

Caol Ila 8yo 2011/2020 Old Particular for Belgium

Caol Ila 8yo 2011/2020 (59.1%, Douglas Laing Old Particular, Specially selected by whisky lovers at the Spirits In The Sky 2019 Masterclass, PX Sherry Butt #DL 13431, 303 bottles)
€102.00 incl VAT